Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bloggiesta: Day 3 and Wrap Up

It is 8:20 P.S.T. and time to quit for tonight. Tomorrow is Monday and we all know what that means. I was not going to participate in this initially. I start trial tomorrow and figured I would be pre-occupied with that. But Saturday I took a peak at what was going on and became hooked. I actually learned quite abit this weekend and had loads of fun. If someone asked me what was the best part of this, I would be hard pressed to come up with just one item. What I really enjoyed was the effort a number of people put forward in helping everyone have a better blog. I enjoyed seeing new blogs I had never heard of. And I am looking forward to getting a mentor to help me with some of the coding and technical aspects. While Bloggiesta is a weekend event-the weekend will carry forward with me for months to come as I re-visit some of the challenges to ensure everything is in order or just pop in for a refresher course.

Thank you to everyone who participated. Here are some of my challenges from Sunday and Saturday.


Kristen at Bookworming in the 21st Century has suggested a mentoring/mentee program challenge. I signed up for this one. After grading my blog yesterday I have come to realize that the coding just does not make sense to me. I have lots to learn with respect to the technical aspects of blogging. I am looking forward to this. People in the community have been very helpful-up until a few months ago I did not know how to do collages or put borders around my photos. Michelle at Bleeding Espresso taught me about links. Heather from GirliChef introduced me to a PicNic. All these little tips make the blog more inviting.

Jenn at Jenn's Bookshelves has a great mini-post on coming up with and expanding your ideas. Five ideas I have come up with:

1. New approaches that a different from other posts-eg talk about the author's home town, burial site, place where they received inspiration to write.

2. explore independent bookstores.

3. I have so many cookbooks-start cooking from them and posting the recipes and end result.

4. Do a theme-eg French food/books relating to France.

5. Relate the themes to special days-Valentines Day, Chinese New Year,

Chronicle of an Infant Bibliophile has a list of blog directories to submit your blog to. I have started submitting my blog to a few directories.

My Friend Amy suggested getting a blogging buddy to help you through the questions you many have and challenges that sprout up. Sheila from Book Journey will be my blogging buddy. She is also a workout fiend so I am hoping that will rub off.

Trish from Hey Lady Watcha Reading-taught me all about gravatars and favicons. I am still working on the favicon.

4 comments:

Margaret Ann Abrahams said...

Great sources for blog home improvement - thanks. If you love all things French, and haven't read it yet, you should read Foreign Tongue by Vanina Marsot, a witty debut novel mostly set in Paris. I'm enjoying the Comment Challenge.

Vanessa said...

That's a really great idea! I love the blogging community! Your blog is fabulous!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Look at you go! Woo hoo! On the Blogging buddy Challenge (last times Bloggiesta) do you want to be this for me? It makes you my go to person for questions and vice versa.... also I hear we can vent too...LOL

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Awesome job Esme! Sorry I'm so late in stopping by to say thanks for playing this past weekend! It sounds like you got a lot out of it which makes me happy! Your recipe posts here are making me hungry.

Related Posts with Thumbnails