Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oyster Mushroom Gravy

A few weeks ago my legal team and I met at one of the team members homes. Surrounded by vineyards and rolling hills it was an idyllic place for a Sunday meeting. We had now been in trial for almost 2 months. Anything other than a sterile office and fluorescent lighting.

Our host was quite gracious, he prepared a roasted chicken, vegetables and a wonderful salad. Of course there was wine from his vineyard. Trial has finally come to an end for me. And I can once again cook and give my family the attention they deserve. What better to cook than a roasted chicken. Roasted chicken for me is a comfort food. Hot it warms my insides. Cold it reminds me of a day at the beach in the South of France. Years ago when I was twenty something and backpacking around Europe I met these two Aussie girls. We traveled from Provence to the South of France. One day we grabbed a roasted chicken, tomatoes, baguette and cheese and headed off to the beach. Three gals in the 20's, sitting by the Mediterranean enjoying a simple lunch. With memories like these I could eat roasted chicken every day.

With time on my hand for the first time in many weeks I roasted my chicken. I relished that I had the time to pull out roasting rack, and properly season the chicken. Now that the chicken was roasting what was I going to do for sides. Roasted asparagus of course. And mushrooms.

Wanting to do something special, I pulled out my Friday Night Dinners, by Bonnie Stern, a Canadian cook. Bonnie feels that Friday night dinners are all about enjoying a good meal with family and friends in a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. When I saw her recipe for cremini mushroom gravy, I knew it was just what I was looking for. What I did not realize is what a kaleidoscope of flavors this recipe would have.

Soy sauce, hot sauce lemon juice and Port all together in one dish. I had never encountered such a recipe before. My tastebuds were bursting with happiness as I was testing this out on the stove top. Hot sauce is one of the condiments I can add to almost anything. For me I chose to accent the hot sauce and throw in a few extra splashes. What can I say, I donned the proper suit for weeks on end. Trial is over. It was time to let my energy explode and enjoy a meal. My husband said we were having Thanksgiving in March.

Oyster Mushroom Gravy (adapted from Bonnie Stern's Friday Night Dinners)

Ingredients:
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound oyster mushrooms
1/4 cup flour-I only put in a few tablespoons and played with the consistency
3 cups chicken stock from the pan
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry (her recipe called for Port or brandy)
2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh of course)
4 tbsp hot red pepper sauce (she only used 1/2 tsp)

instructions:

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook gently for 5-10 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle with flour and cook for three minutes

Add stock and whisking bring to a boil. Add soy sauce, sherry, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce.

Reduce heat and cook gently for 10 minutes. You do not want this to be to thick.

Enjoy.

15 comments:

Jacqueline said...

It's so cool how certain smells and tastes can take you back to great times in your life!

Madi and Mom said...

Hi Esme!!!
Thanks for dropping by to say hello.
What a lovely dish on your blog...now we are hungry. You are a lovely kitty too.
Madi and Mom

Fresh Local and Best said...

This oyster mushroom gravy looks wonderful!

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Thanks for sharing. it looks yummy!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Esme, so nice to meet you, and I adore your name, so very beautiful. This post on chicken with the mushroom gravy looks just amazing. I can almost smell it!
blessings,
Debra

Anna said...

Glad you survived the trial. Now you can get some R&R...hopefully!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Anonymous said...

Regarding the craft, the goods from coach outlet online is tight, the seams are aligned and details emulate the designer's actual handbags.After graduating from university, my cousin came back to my hometown from USA last month. She told me that coach outlet store is very popular among her classmate.The choices are likely to be basically countless seeing that coach outlet occurs with the help of completely new and also incredible concepts once in a while.

Anonymous said...

If you have been to the mall lately and browsed coach outlet you may find that a high price tag goes along with just about everything in the mall.It has however getting confirmed how they insure the fact that merchandise you purchase will genuinely be reliable mentor product to coach outlet store.The coach outlet online Store sells many series. The Coach shoulder bags are always the best popular series because they are very practical and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

There must be one louis vuitton vernis that is sure to fit your style. louis vuitton sale provide Louis Vuitton belt for men has royal purple lining, which could burnish whatever clothes.Don't be stung online. there's no real need to rush louis vuitton outlet.If you can't walk into a store in or around your local region, online is your only other real-time alternative.I am so confused that I don,t even know where to buy the louis vuitton Handbags. Because I can prefer to chose the fashionable design, favorable price, top service .

Anonymous said...

You could feel the top quality with hands promptly while you touch a louis vuitton uk. Pay attention that each LV bag is well-produced and meant to last for a lengthy time.However, Louis Vuitton still has an outstanding reputation and its incomparable glamour, even it become the tireless pursuit as ladies to have a Louis Vuitton Handbag from louis vuitton online shop.cheap louis vuitton online shop!but additionally assures that your research is greater streamlined which assures that you just can test out the kind of ladies outfits.

Anonymous said...

It is a symbol regarding position not to mention nature.Here I would like to launch a excellent bags pertaining to business men.Which may be coach outlet store.We have large quantity coach outlet online Store .Welcome to buy, free shipping with great discount promotion and best service for you now.coach outlet store online has been voted by Hour Detroit magazine readers as the Best of Detroit in their 12th annual readers'poll.

Anonymous said...

The products that louis vuitton outlet is countless, such as: purses, bags, handbags, shoes, belt. Even the same kind of product includes the products for women, the products for men, for summer-day use, for winter-day use.So, it is probably far beyond your imagination.Design and style publication rack on the list of fastest escalating sectors as well as the rivalry louis vuitton bags outlet being near the top of your cycle can be difficult. You may even really need to expend out regarding assist provides, this sort of while images in addition to advert catalogues for that item you finally choose to promote. Even though a great deal more study about them has long been important, it really is believed some kind of emotive illness, despair currently being…louis vuitton handbags outlet store online Since delicate commit baggage registered the marketplace

xfxu said...

Almost every person who does not know armani watches as a noted brand will be completely turned away from the world of fashion.Welcome to our remarkable Louis Vuitton Outlet Store. There are a great number of emporio armani watches which will make you more charming.

xfxu said...

No doubt there are many armani Purses, handbags, suitcases etc. with other different styles in armani store. It offers armani watches products that are both classic and modern.emporio armani watches enjoy high reputation all over the world. They are designed for hand, elbow and shoulder carry thanks to comfortable flat leather handles.

xfxu said...

gucci uk are the premier Austrian machine-cut crystals world-famous for their superior quality and precision cutting. Swarovski Bracelet, pendants, filigree components, rivolis and buttons are all showcased here.Several days ago, I chose one style of gucci uk sale from the Swarovski Outlets, which has won good reputation from many customers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails