Monday, February 7, 2011

Finny by Justin Kramon Review



Finny is a book that I both loved and at times was bothered by. We are introduced to Finny as an adolescent who just cannot fit in. At home she has problems with her mother who has expectations as to how a young woman should behave. When her parents discover her "crush" with Earl Finny is sent off to boarding school where she rooms with Judith, who always seems to know what to do in every situation. For as innocent as Finny is Judith is mature. I loved the coming of age aspect of the book as we follow Finny from her early teen years through to her mid-thirties. This may sound sexist but I was surprised that this book was written by a male. Equally surprising was that this is Kramon's first novel. I thought he did an amazing job with all the characters. The book also arrived with a feather which once you read the book you will understand why.

What bothered me about the book was the graphic nature of Judith's sexual behavior. Judith is an attention grabber and likes to shock people. Her attention grabbing behavior was evident through her graphic behavior. I felt that at times there was too much detail given that was not necessarily necessary.

Aside from that this was a great read.

6 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm of the fence about reading this one. The reviews have been pretty good.

bermudaonion said...

I really enjoyed this book too! Judith did like to shock people, but I've known a few people like her in my day.

Alice said...

Hello!
I’m already following your blog! Really loved it! Very gorgeous!!
So, could you please follow me?
Well, my blog is in Portuguese but you can comment in English, I’ll understand…
Thanks a lot!
Kisses

http://coisassoparameninasfofis.blogspot.com

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Hmmm... This sounds good - but I wonder if the " graphic sexuality" would just bug me too much?

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Glad you liked this one! I really enjoyed it, even Judith when she was being extreme.

M. Bloom said...

Hi Esme -- Greetings back to you from California (SF Bay Area...) Thanks for visiting my blog via OWOH and leaving a note for an opportunity to win my little flower fairies! Nice to meet you (and also to have a peek at your book reviews! I love to read, too...)

Cheers,
MB

Related Posts with Thumbnails