Monday, September 1, 2014

GI Brides by Duncan Barrett and Nuala Calvi Review

This past summer I have read some great books and GI Brides is without a doubt one of them.  I adored the story about a group of women who left England to marry American soldiers.  The story was not all love and romance.  Imagine being a young bride that has left London for a foreign land.  I am sure it was a very intimidating experience for many.

The book provides the story of four women along with a history of the war brides.  Yanks as they were known in England provided the young women, chocolate, stockings and excitement in a time when London was under the bombs of the German.  For some coming to the US was a new adventure and a chance to escape England.

Two of the women had good marriages while two of the women found themselves in a poor situation.  I found myself rooting for all the young women.  They all had their own reason for marrying and American and I wanted all of them to have happiness even it was not to be.  Author Calvi is the granddaughter of one of the women.

I enjoyed the format to the book which gave every women their own chapter as we rotated through the lives of these women from them being single to being courted and eventually coming to the U.S.  The book had some humorous movements as the women adapted to the cultural differences between England and the U.S.  Telling someone you want to be "knocked up" has a different meaning in both countries.

The authors of the book travelled throughout the U.S. to interview 60 women for the book.  They did justice in telling the story of the British brides and the story of these 4 young women.

Thank you to Harper Collins for providing me with a copy of this amazing book.  The authors are touring in the U.S. starting tomorrow.  If you could listen to them speak I am sure you would enjoy the evening.

6 comments:

Carole said...

Hi Esme, this looks like a fab book! How about adding your review to the Books You Loved collection over at Carole's Chatter? Cheers

Esme said...

Thank you for the suggestion-I will.

Beth F said...

I have this on my to read pile ... I can't wait to get to it.

Pam Greer said...

Oh, this sounds like something I would love!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Wow, this sounds fantastic.

Vicki Boster said...

Esme-- I'm in for this book-- going to download my sample tonight-- thanks for the review girlfriend!
Vicki

Related Posts with Thumbnails